The O team has decided on Joe Biden (D - Beltway Establishment) to give us the OBAMA BIN BIDEN ticket. This is a great pick ... for the Republicans. Here's why the thin man has blown his first decision:
1. Like when Obama picked Eric Holder and Jim Johnson to do vetting itself, it's another DC insider appointment. "So much for hope and change." There IS no real change with Obama, it's just big, meaningless, campaign hype to present the same old liberal policies of Mondale, Dukakis and Kerry in a shiny new package. Even AP says: "The candidate of change went with the status quo."
2. Biden is a gaffe machine who has already made the case for McCain over Obama in previous comments.
Biden, on a post-debate appearance on MSNBC, October 30, 2007: “The only guy on the other side who’s qualified is John McCain.”
Biden appearing on The Daily Show, August 2, 2005: “John McCain is a personal friend, a great friend, and I would be honored to run with or against John McCain, because I think the country would be better off, be well off no matter who...”
Biden spent most of 2007 running on 'experience' and reminding people of its importance in the White House. Biden in an interview with the Huffington Post, he assessed Obama and Clinton: “The more people learn about them (Obama and Hillary) and how they handle the pressure, the more their support will evaporate.”
Biden said in a campaign ad, “When this campaign is over, political slogans like ‘experience’ and ‘change’ will mean absolutely nothing. The next president has to act.” When Obama gave a speech saying he’d send troops into Pakistan, Biden told NPR that “It’s a well-intentioned notion he has, but it’s a very naïve way of thinking how you’re going to conduct foreign policy. ... Having talking points on foreign policy doesn’t get you there."
He also released an ad that said: ”The White House isn't a place to learn how to deal with international crisis, the balance of power ... the economic future of the next generation,' the narrator of Biden's 1988 ad for the Democratic nomination said. "The president has got to know the territory.” (Source: Politico.)
Then there is this, which sums up the clear put-down of inexperienced Obama that the McCain campaign is using already in ads - Video here:
“You were asked, “Is he ready?” You said, ‘I think he can be ready but right now, I don’t believe he is. The presidency is not something that lends itself to on-the-job training.’”
Mr. Biden: “I think that I stand by the statement.”
3. Forget the 'Biden is a centrist' talk. Biden was for Iraq war, but is otherwise quite liberal. His lifetime ACU rating is 14%. The most liberal U.S. Senator picked the third most liberal Senator as a running mate. The kind of guy who says: "I WOULD LET THE TAX CUTS FOR ALL OF THE MIDDLE CLASS LAPSE". We still have the most liberal ticket ever, that outdoes Kerry and Mondale tickets in being way to the left. Ticket is more liberal than Chomsky/Ward Churchill: "In the coming days, you will hear every single moron in the national Barrystream Media talk about Biden's moderate stances on things. That is quite frankly, yet another lie from our media. Biden is almost as far to the left as Barry Obama."
4. Sub-average Joe had trouble in College and wiki tried to cover it up when he got picked! This is the watered-down version:
"at Syracuse Law School, Biden had plagiarized a law review article in a class paper he wrote ... Biden drew "chunks of heavy legal prose directly from" the article in question. ... Biden was permitted to retake the course after receiving a grade of F, which was subsequently dropped from his record. ... Biden had claimed falsely to have graduated in the "top half" of his class, (when he actually graduated 76th in a class of 85). that he had attended on a full scholarship, and had received three degrees. In fact he had received two majors, History and Political Science, and a single B.A., as well as a half scholarship based on financial need."
The non-watered-down version mentions his actual undergrad grades at U. of Delaware (on Newsbusters link). Ouch! F in ROTC, C and D's except for an A in physical education.At the University of Delaware, Biden was 506th out of 688 classmates. Sub-average Joe did his share of partying.
5. Biden voted for the Iraq war and has at times expressed support for it in ways that steps on the "Bush is a warmongering fool" meme. "I still believe that Saddam possessed weapons of mass destruction and that the war in Iraq was justified." - Joe Biden, 2003 on the Iraq War
6. With a white-haired dude VP pick who is old enough to collect social security checks, the issue of McCain’s age is now off the table.
7. Biden's gaffes are legion:
- Barry and I have been tested for AIDS
- Biden: "I’M A BIG FAN OF JIMMY CARTER’S. I WAS, AS YOU REMEMBER, HIS NATIONAL CAMPAIGN CHAIRMAN IN 1976, THE FIRST PERSON TO ENDORSE HIM."
- Biden's infamous 'clean' comment on Obama: “the first mainstream African American [candidate] who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy.”
- Biden gets out of hand dissing DeLay: “The next Republican that tells me I’m not religious, I’m gonna shove my rosary beads down their throat!”
- Biden on President Bush: “This guy is brain dead. I know I’ll be quoted, I’ll be killed for that.” July 2007 (Source: FR.)
- Some of Biden's comments have bordered on the insensitive to racist (not just the above one). One infamous one is this: "In Delaware, the largest growth in population is Indian Americans - moving from India. You cannot go to a 7-11 or a Dunkin' Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent. I'm not joking." - Joe Biden, speaking to Indian-Americans.
Biden known for slips of the tongue
Biden experience ads